What is your greatest concern about starting school this year?

Friday, April 20, 2007

VT and "An Inconvenient Truth"

Today is the national memorial for Virginia Tech. I'm wearing Orange and Maroon. It will be on my mind all day.

Today I'm also subbing for a great history teacher. We're watching "An Inconvenient Truth." I hadn't seen it yet. It makes me want to do my part, including going to city commission to fight for curbside recycling. I hope it inspires some of these kids. Although I was a little disheartened to learn that most had no clue about the events of the 2000 election.

Later in the day, I had trouble getting classes to see what I saw in the film. How can we get them to see beyond what they're doing after school? I get so frustrated, usually it's when I'm at the high school, because these students take their free education so for granted. I wish I could bring students from say, South Africa, or India, or anywhere else without what we have, to this school to help these students understand what a great opportunity that they have everyday.

No comments: