What is your greatest concern about starting school this year?

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Hard to Handle

Yesterday I subbed for a 4th grade class. I have never had such a discipline problem. The list of kids that were good was easier to write for the teacher. If I gave one lecture, I gave 30. It's one thing I fear about being a teacher. Can I handle these problems? I understand that when you're the regular classroom teacher, there is more respect. Or is there? The elementary school has behavior bucks and flipping behavior cards. But I can honestly say, it doesn't seem to work.

Everyone says, "Send one to the office, and they'll all fall in line." I really want the office to be an option of last resort not a defense tactic. I want to learn how to handle these problems, but sometimes I wonder if I'll be up to it.

But I can still say that my worst day in the classroom is still way better than my best day anywhere else working. So I know I've made the right decision about obtaining a teaching career.

1 comment:

Alyssa Mason said...

I totally agree that the worst day in the classroom is better than the best day anywhere else! Some days, my kids make me want to tear my hair out, but everyday one of them does something that makes me smile, or giggle, or all-out laugh. It makes it all worth it to see them succeed, if even for a moment. I can't wait until I can actually have my own class to teach!