What is your greatest concern about starting school this year?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tech Final # 2- Apple Interchange

I was excited from the first minute I got onto the site. I found a detailed lesson plan about using music to learn math. It involved the kids themselves creating rhymes and rhythms, and then recording them. The final product would be a CD they could listen to over and over again to help them remember, for instance, their multiplication tables. I've subbed where middle school students are still using Cheat tables to figure out their multiplication. I want to be a part of getting rid of that practice. When I was a student, we didn't have "cheat" tables. You just learned it. I'll be mentioning this later in number 5, but I've learned that kids get more excited about learning through projects they complete themselves. They get invested. If this site produces more ideas along these lines, I'll be in teaching heaven someday.

I asked my daughter's kindergarten teacher to review the site and this is what she had to say:

"I really found the edcommunity website valuable. I enjoyed searching all around the site first, then looked at the kindergarten ideas. With our new Apple computers and easy access to digital cameras and programs such as iMovie and iPhoto, I have been experimenting with this technology for classroom use. I found an idea that I will use this week! We are doing the ABC Countdown to Summer. Friday is Memory Day. I will interview the children as to a favorite memory of kindergarten. Then we will add our digital pictures of the children along with their words into the iMovie I am creating with pictures from the year. This is the first school that I have worked at in which using technology is actually realistic for me, so I am excited about the possibilities!"

No comments: